Newcastle – West Ham Predictions
We can help you in betting. With our prediction and betting tips you can earn money.
Newcastle 2-4 West Ham
Date: 15.08.2021 | Match at: 14:00 | League: ENGLAND: Premier League – Round 1 | Tip: Over 1.5 Goals | Odds: 1.32 | Bookie: Unibet.
Newcastle – West Ham Match Preview
- After three straight bottom-half finishes and a quiet summer, Newcastle United’s first task will be to win a third successive season-opening Premier League (PL) H2H. If they do so, the ‘Magpies’ will register three consecutive PL wins – last achieved in November 2018 – and successive winning PL openers for the first time since 2006/07 and 2007/08.
- The hosts must improve in defence though, especially at St James’ Park, as fans make their long-awaited full return. Notably, Newcastle kept the fewest home clean sheets in the PL last season (two), and only relegated West Bromwich Albion conceded more home goals (33).
- West Ham United ended 2020/21 in sixth, closing a fine campaign with two straight wins that each saw them net three goals. Yet, some unwanted history could beckon as the ‘Hammers’ have lost their previous five PL season openers. The last team to lose six such top-flight games in succession without a relegation in between was Grimsby Town back in 1946/47.
- Despite this hanging over them, West Ham have momentum, having scored 3+ goals in 11 PL matches last season – only the two Manchester clubs doing so more often. Six of those came in away games (W5, D1), though they too will need caution at the back as both teams scored in 12 of West Ham’s 19 PL away fixtures last term.
- Players to watch: Newcastle’s Callum Wilson has eight goals in ten PL appearances against West Ham – his highest personal tally vs any opponent. In opposition, Michail Antonio needs one more goal to go level with Paolo Di Canio as West Ham’s joint-top PL scorer. His only prior strike at this venue was a fourth-minute match opener in July 2020 (D 2-2).
- Hot stat: Newcastle manager Steve Bruce has a personal 40% win-rate against West Ham (W8, D4, L8).