Benfica – PSV Predictions
We can help you in betting. With our prediction and betting tips you can earn money.
Benfica 2-1 PSV
Date: 18.08.2021 | Match at: 20:00 | League: Champions League – Qualification – Final | Tip: Under 3.5 Goals | Odds: 1.41 | Bookie: Unibet.
Benfica – PSV Match Preview
- The Estádio da Luz hosts the first leg of what is arguably the tie of the UEFA Champions League (UCL) play-off round. This is a repeat of the 1987/88 European Cup final in which PSV earned their first and only major European honour to date, whilst hosts Benfica won Europe’s premier club competition twice back in the 1960s.
- There is a storied history between these sides, with the first two-legged affair in 1974/75 seeing PSV progress with a 2-1 away win. Since then, Benfica have edged proceedings, winning at home in the 1998/99 UCL group stage before current manager Jorge Jesus oversaw a resounding 4-1 home win over the Dutchmen in the 2010/11 Europa League (BEN: W2, D4, L1).
- Since losing in the Taça de Portugal final, the ‘Eagles’ have drafted in new talent and have subsequently soared this season, holding a perfect record after four competitive games. Benfica have also progressed from both of their previous UCL play-offs, including once against Dutch opponents, Twente. Notably, both teams scored in all four legs (W2, D2).
- As for PSV, the visitors are 180 minutes away from a first UCL group appearance since 2018/19, one which was secured with a 6-2 play-off win over BATE. Whilst PSV have won just four of their 15 UEFA-sanctioned games vs Portuguese opponents (D6, L5), underestimate them at your peril as they also look to maintain a 100% competitive winning record this season.
- Players to watch: PSV’s Eran Zahavi scored his first ever UCL proper goals against Benfica, bagging in both halves of a 3-0 win way back in 2010/11. Benfica new boy Roman Yaremchuk scored and assisted last time out; the Ukrainian also grabbed a goal vs Netherlands at EURO 2020 which could prove a good omen.
- Hot stat: PSV boss Roger Schmidt has never lost a meeting vs any Jorge Jesus-managed side (W3, D1) – two wins ended 3-1.