Auxerre – St Etienne Predictions
We can help you in betting. With our prediction and betting tips you can earn money.
Auxerre 1-1 St Etienne
Date: 26.05.2022 | Match at: 18:00 | League: FRANCE: LIGUE 1 – RELEGATION – FINAL | Tip: Over 1.5 Goals | Odds: 1.37 | Bookie: Unibet.
Auxerre – St Etienne Match Preview
- After missing out on direct promotion by just one point, a nerve-shredding penalty shoot-out home victory against Sochaux on Friday saw Auxerre progress to the final of this Ligue 1 relegation play-off. The 1996 Ligue 1 champions will be looking to return to the top flight after a ten-year absence, but will be aware that only one Ligue 2 club has prevailed since the introduction of the playoffs back in 2016/17.
- Currently on a run of five consecutive wins at the Stade de l’Abbé-Deschamps, Jean-Marc Furlan’s men should be confident ahead of this clash as they face a St Étienne side to which they’ve lost only one of the previous 23 H2Hs held here (W14, D8 – 90 minutes). A good start could be key to keeping that good H2H form going, as only one of Auxerre’s 19 home Ligue 2 matches witnessed the side that opened the scoring go on to lose.
- Visiting St Étienne were heading towards their first campaign back in Ligue 2 since 2004/05 before Romain Hamouma’s 79th-minute equaliser at Nantes last weekend (1-1) gave them a shot at safety via the relegation play-off spot at the expense of Metz. Despite his team’s achievement, coach Pascal Dupraz remained cautious in the aftermath stating “We were in Ligue 2 before the game, we were in Ligue 2 for most of the game, and then now we’re in Ligue 1 and a half”.
- ‘Les Verts’ have history on their side though, as the top tier club in the playoff has lost only one of the last four first leg playoff away games (W2, D1). However the reality remains that St Étienne have failed to win across their last seven trips (D3, L4) with their leaky backline conceding an eye-watering 18 goals during that run!
- Players to watch: Auxerre could rely on Gauthier Hein for a good start as he’s found the net before half-time in nine of his last ten goalscoring outings. St Étienne’s Denis Bouanga also loves an early goal, netting the game’s opener with six of his last seven Ligue 1 strikes.
- Hot streak: Each of the last four H2Hs have seen both halves feature the same scoreline.