Augsburg – Mainz Predictions
We can help you in betting. With our prediction and betting tips you can earn money.
Augsburg 1-2 Mainz
Date: 20.08.2022 | Match at: 14:30 | League: GERMANY: BUNDESLIGA – ROUND 3 | Tip: Under 3.5 Goals | Odds: 1.40 | Bookie: Unibet.
Augsburg – Mainz Match Preview
- Few were predicting an Augsburg win over Bayer Leverkusen last time out, but thanks to goalkeeping heroics from Rafal Gikiewicz and a late André Hahn strike, they prevailed 2-1 to claim their first Bundesliga points of the season (W1, L1). It’s the sort of result that suggests they’re equipped to avoid last season’s flirtation with relegation, provided they can build on it.
- Although their last three league victories were followed by defeats, playing Mainz could be an opportunity to buck that trend as Augsburg have won the previous six H2Hs they’ve hosted, the last five of which featured over 2.5 goals and goals in both halves. They’ll hope signing experienced midfielder Julian Baumgartlinger this week will also boost their chances, a man who made 124 Bundesliga appearances for Mainz!
- His former club’s recent 0-0 draw against Union Berlin was a game of few chances but Mainz remain unbeaten in competitive action this term (W2, D1) having conceded just once, so they’ve started their campaign defensively sound, just as they were last season. They can now aim for starting the season with three league games unbeaten, something they haven’t managed since 2018/19.
- Although they’ve won their last two Bundesliga away games 2-1, prior to that Mainz hadn’t won any of their last 11 league road games (D2, L9), including a 2-1 defeat here in April. Both of those recent wins came after they scored the opener between the 25th and 30th minute so the first goal could prove pivotal.
- Key battle: Gikiewicz made nine saves against Leverkusen, which may have dampened Augsburg’s reported interest in Mainz’s Finn Dahmen. If anybody can get past him, it’s Karim Onisiwo, who netted twice in Mainz’s last away match and once against Augsburg last term, opening the scoring on both occasions.
- Hot streak: Augsburg have lost the last five league games in which they conceded first.