Portugal – Switzerland Predictions
We can help you in betting. With our prediction and betting tips you can earn money.
Portugal 2-0 Switzerland
Date: 06.12.2022 | Match at: 20:00 | League: WORLD CUP – PLAY OFFS – 1/8-FINALS | Tip: Over 1.5 Goals | Odds: 1.38 | Bookie: Unibet.
Match Preview Portugal – Switzerland Predictions
- The memories of a disastrous group-stage exit in Brazil 2014 have been expelled, as Portugal embark on consecutive appearances in the knockout stages of the World Cup for only the second time in their history (2006, 2010). Despite a shock 2-1 loss to South Korea in their final group game, the Seleção won Group H after triumphing in their opening two matches, which was perhaps vital considering a second-place finish would have led to a tough assignment against favourites Brazil in the Round of 16.
- Fernando Santos’ men must learn from past mistakes, considering the last two times Portugal made it past the group stage at the World Cup (2010 and 2018), their journey was immediately ended. This side can become history makers however, as only once since 1966 have they reached the last eight and a good omen lies in the fact that the last two times they won their group in a World Cup (1966 and 2006), they reached the semi-finals!
- After finishing second to Brazil on goal difference in one of the toughest groups in this tournament, Switzerland will make their third consecutive appearance in the Round of 16, aiming to finally end a run of four straight defeats when they’ve reached this stage. Coach Murat Yakin said after their crucial 3-2 victory over Serbia that the only regret was “the one goal” they needed to win the group, before adding, “we’ll gladly take on Portugal with the ambition to worry them as much as possible”.
- Nicknamed ‘La Nati’, Switzerland have shown in the past that they can trouble the Portuguese, having won their recent H2H meeting 1-0 in the UEFA Nations League last June, as well as the only prior match played in a major competition – a 2-0 victory in the group stage of Euro 2008. However, after two group-stage wins, Yakin and his men will have to break records if they are to continue their World Cup journey, as the Swiss have never won three matches in a single World Cup finals campaign!
- Players to watch: In what is likely to be his last World Cup, Cristiano Ronaldo will be keen to score his first ever goal in a knockout match in this competition after six unsuccessful attempts. He’s not the only one searching for a personal milestone however, as after making a record 11th appearance for his nation at a World Cup finals and scoring the game’s opener against Serbia, Xherdan Shaqiri would tie Josef Hügi (six goals) as Switzerland’s top scorer in this tournament with another goal here.
- Hot streak: Portugal have found the net in each of their last nine World Cup finals matches.
- World Cup trivia: Switzerland were involved in the highest scoring match in World Cup history when they lost 7-5 to Austria in the 1954 edition.
Be the first to comment on "Match Preview: Portugal 2-0 Switzerland Predictions and Betting Tips 06.12.2022"