Tottenham – Portsmouth Predictions
We can help you in betting. With our prediction and betting tips you can earn money.
Tottenham 1-0 Portsmouth
Date: 07.01.2023 | Match at: 21:00 | League: ENGLAND: FA CUP – 1/32-FINALS | Tip: Over 2.5 Goals | Odds: 1.36 | Bookie: Unibet.
Tottenham – Portsmouth Predictions and PREVIEW
- Antonio Conte’s Tottenham Hotspur finally recorded their first Premier League (PL) win since the World Cup thanks to a resounding 4-0 victory away to Crystal Palace last time out, with club talismans Harry Kane and Heung-Min Son both on the scoresheet. It’s unclear whether such a strong lineup will start against Portsmouth though in what is a repeat of the 2010 FA Cup semi-final.
- Spurs lost that clash 2-0, but there is an air of expectation rather than hope that they will avoid replicating that result here with Portsmouth now plying their trade in League One. With a considerable 50 places separating the sides in the English footballing pyramid, Spurs are looking to extend an incredible unbeaten run of 43 FA Cup home games against opponents from outside the top-flight (W35, D8), with Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest the last such side to beat them back in 1975!
- Despite once famously overseeing then non-league Lincoln City’s famous FA Cup run to the quarter-finals, Danny and Nicky Cowley weren’t to be given another crack at cup glory, as they were relieved of their Portsmouth managerial duties this week amidst a rotten nine-game winless run in League One. Currently nine points from both the top-six and the bottom-four in the third-tier following that torrid run, a first visit to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is perhaps a welcome distraction.
- Enjoying the beautiful new stadium may be the highlight of the near 9,000 travelling fans’ day though, with their beloved club losing their last three FA Cup meetings against top-flight opponents by a combined 9-1 scoreline. The prospects of ending that run here appear slim too considering Pompey haven’t made it past the third round since 2020, a cup run that ultimately ended in a 2-0 defeat against Spurs’ bitter rivals, Arsenal.
- Players to watch: Spurs’ Bryan Gil could be handed another starting spot after his electric performance in his second PL start for the club saw him assist, with Conte then proclaiming that he was “born to play football”. Arguably Pompey’s strongest attacking threat, Colby Bishop is the only man in double figures for league goals while making an impressive four goal contributions in the opening two FA Cup rounds (G3, A1).
- Hot stat: Ten of Portsmouth’s last 12 FA Cup games saw both teams score and at least three goals in total.