Espanyol – Mallorca Predictions
We can help you in betting. With our prediction and betting tips you can earn money.
Espanyol 2-1 Mallorca
Date: 25.02.2023 | Match at: 14:00 | League: SPAIN: LALIGA – ROUND 23 | Tip: Over 1.5 Goals | Odds: 1.62 | Bookie: Unibet.
Espanyol – Mallorca Predictions and Preview
- Relief reverberated around the Espanyol fanbase as a stoppage-time strike saw the Barcelona-based side beat Elche 1-0 last time out – a result that could prove crucial if they’re to retain their top-flight status. Having played just one campaign outside of La Liga (LL) this century, boss Diego Martínez refused to understate the importance of the victory, telling media post-match that the triumph can be a catalyst for their season.
- Martínez may feel confident his side can secure another momentum-fuelling win when Espanyol host Mallorca, with his side last losing a home H2H to these visitors back in 2011 (W4, D1). Some dreadful LL home form threatens to clip the Periquitos’ wings though, with only basement boys Elche suffering more home defeats so far this campaign (L5), yet that’s despite Espanyol’s total of 14 home league goals being a better tally than almost half of LL.
- Perhaps they’ll be boosted by facing a ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ side in the form of Mallorca, who’s last nine LL games have alternated between wins and losses (W5, L4). The Pirates’ dramatic 4-2 win over Villarreal last time out means they’ve now strung five consecutive home top-flight triumphs together for the first time since 2012/13, but no travelling league win or goal since the World Cup break (L4) has led manager Javier Aguirre to demand improvement.
- That’s Mallorca’s worst goalless run on their LL travels since 2002, yet by sitting just three points off sixth place they’re still in contention for a first European appearance since 2003/04. Aguirre will know that an improvement in front of goal on their travels is needed if they’re to scale such heights however, with only four LL sides scoring fewer than their paltry eight away goals ahead of the round.
- Players to watch: ‘’If you look for commitment in the dictionary, Sergi Darder appears’’ said Martínez after the midfielder’s crucial strike in Espanyol’s latest victory. Darder has goals in successive LL games for the first time this season, though he might be upstaged by Dani Rodríguez considering Mallorca are victorious in each of his three goalscoring appearances since December.
- Hot streak: Espanyol’s last three games have all witnessed at least one red card.